Old 01-08-13, 12:58 AM
harpon
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice Gitanes! I recall mine fondly-

My Super Corsa was my first full Campy bike in the summer of 1971, when my Schwinn Varsity was stolen, and I had just finished second in the ABL of A junior division at the Indiana state championships behind Wayne Stetina. The Campy side pulls were the first ones that the racers in the Speedway Wheelmen of Indianapolis had seen come stock on a bike- though the other Nuovo Record components were more common- most club racers were using Universal center pull.

The picture or two I had got away, but the next year my parents gave me a super 8 movie camera for graduation and the first thing I shot was the purple Gitane in my bedroom:

I rode and raced mine for a couple of years and then put most of the parts on a Colnago a centimeter shorter- the Gitane was eventually built back up and sold at college-

The Gitanes above are of that same early '70's-ish era- in about '74 or '75 they went to transparent decals and different script. The old foil decals got damaged easily, and several french companies used them- but when I see them now and stilll in good shape, they are like old friends.

bon chance!