Old 01-08-13, 07:26 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Wheels aren't included on that one.
I've pulled it up a few times in the last several days. If it was lugged and/or had a lugged fork I might pull the trigger.
Yes, you are right, and it is missing some of the nice Suntour components too. Nice beartrap pedals (not sure if they are vintage or not), nice stem, nice chrome frame, nice stem. Everything else looks average.

A lot of the vintage MTBs were not lugged, even the nice ones. I am not sure why. My Univega Alpina Pro at the top of this discussion is TiG welded, my Cimmaron is a mix, and the chrome Ross I just posted is as well. I have an old Rocky Mountain that isn't lugged either. My only fully lugged vintage steel MTB is my Trek 950. I'm thinking MTB tubing back then was thicker, so lugs were not necessary?? I leave it to those that are more knowledgeable.

I need to pull out the set of Pro Comp wheels I have. They are pretty crazy, looks like a good winter wheel building exercise (spokes are trashed).

Last edited by wrk101; 01-08-13 at 08:59 AM.