View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 07:54 AM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got out to the Chaparral Rails to Trails. This isn't an exciting report since I only rode the paved portion out of Farmersville. I did it twice and, with some extra laps around the Onion Shed, made a total of eleven miles (a personal best so far, this was my ninth ride since Christmas, and ninth in over fifty years).

As I was reading, again, Bill in Houston's ride report I noticed this, "On the way out, we met the daily trail crew on their way back in. These guys are retired and they ride the trail every day. I guess during the summer they leave at 5 am? Anyway, there were about 4 of them out there bright and early." I believe that group was some men from First Baptist in Farmersville who were riding it about every day. One of them is a deputy constable who serves in my old office. They were doing what I did yesterday, going the 2.5 mile paved portion and back twice.

This was the first time I had ever been on the trail, though I worked for the President of Chaparral Rails to Trails for over sixteen years. The portion I did was a nice ride, about 3/4 mile of asphalt on it was a little distorted but not a problem. The first (and only in that portion) railroad tie bridge was interesting the first time I went over it. I didn't ride the crushed gravel portion because I haven't ridden on that type of surface before and I was riding alone. The only folks I saw on the trail were some Farmersville Public Works and then one jogger as i was returning on my last lap. I will be riding it again and as my abilities improve I will try the crushed gravel area for a few miles.