Old 01-12-13, 02:26 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by lukeC
Can anyone quantify the sort of disadvantages in cycling on the Globe 3 speed compared with a modern Touring Bike(?) i.e how many kms less per day would one be riding for the same amount of "effort" ? Does it equate to a lower average speed for the same amount of effort? I was thinking that perhaps I should do a trial ride to Gloucester via Oxford first - I have a friend out there I could visit. and its only 200km
maybe stop a night in Oxford on the way.
As MichaelW points out, it's really hard to put numbers to your questions. The Globe looks to be a pretty standard modern bike with braze-ons for racks and decent frame geometry. The weight of 30 lbs (14 kg) is pretty much par for the course.

The big differences are going to be the lack of gear choices, and lack of a really low gear. As I pointed out in my last post you can put a larger cog on your rear wheel to lower the gears, which will give you a low of about 37 gear-inches. My Long Haul Truckers low is about 19. This means I'm able to pedal (albeit slowly) up steep inclines (6-10%) with a full load. You may be walking the bike at those grades, depending on how much you've loaded it.

And my Long Haul Trucker has 21 gear choices to pick out, while your three speed has, well, three. This means you might not always be pedaling in the "right", or most efficient gear, and either have to settle for an easier gear and spin faster or a harder gear and mash pedals. On paper this looks to be a bigger problem than it is, as your body will get used to it, at least in shorter distances. On longer distances, well, that's something you're only going to know after trying. The big advantage to the three speed is its simplicity: when I ride the LHT I'm constantly shifting gears, downshifting at a stop, etc. With my three speed, I shift a hell of a lot less, only when I really need it, like when the hill is big enough or I'm on a flat and want to really get going.

Yes, I would recommend giving your Globe a test run. Load up the bike the way you would for the "real" tour, ride 100k or so, and see how you feel and how the bike handles. Only then will you really know if it works and what kind of distance you can pull off.