Old 01-13-13, 02:46 AM
dwhenry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
The Soma Saga does not take as big a tire as their website claims. According to various posters on this forum, IIRC, 700x38-40 is max, not 47 as stated. This may also apply to 26" sizes, but I dunno. I looked closely at the Saga, decided to pass once I heard about the tire limitation.

Take a look at the Surly Disc Trucker. Geometry identical to the LHT, but with disc brakes. You can get any size with 26" wheels, or >56cm with 700c. I'd lean towards 26" tires for the trip you described, although with the LHT/DT you can mount up to 700x45 tires. 26x >1.7" is probably better for unpaved roads, and they are available worldwide, whereas 700c tires are hard/impossible to find outside major cities. I bought a Disc Trucker frameset a few months ago for $356 shipped. That deal is gone for now, but you can still get one for <400 now.

I have Cane Creek levers and cantis too on my LHT, they are good, but not as good as Avid BB7s and any brifter/lever, which I've also used for years and have on the DT.
Hmm.... I will keep that in mind about soma. I mostly just like it because that british racing green is beautiful.

But I'd really rather not switch my braking set up. I absolutely love it and have spent a decent amount of money on it. It is so easily adjusted that I'd really rather not switch to a foreign set up. I also dont want to risk bending a disc in a place where you definitely cant find a disc. Honestly, if i found a new LHT for 356 bucks I would probably buy it right away. That's a screamin deal.