Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by James Parrotte
I am relatively new to the touring lifestyle, and I have never had to ship a bike to a start location before(Pennsylvania to Vancouver). I am wondering which is the easiest or cheapest option? Does anyone know much about just dissembling some parts of it and checking it on the airline?
Have a look at this website:
http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

You'll see that the price for a bicycle on an airline varies widely.

If it is possible for you to use West Jet (which is not on that list), you might get away with a charge of about $35. If you can use Air Canada, chances are you'll pay about $50. Those prices are pretty reasonable.

West Jet will fly into Abbotsford, Air Canada will fly into Vancouver.

You will need to put the bicycle into a box of some sort. You can pick up cardboard boxes from your local bicycle shop. You may be able to use a bag, and British Airways will have bags, but I think that the airlines generally prefer boxes.

You will remove the wheels, pedals and handlebar. Return all screws to the holes they belong in, so you don't lose any. Secure the pedals, skewers, and any other loose bits so they don't fall out the handhold holes (tape them to the rack, put them in your handlebar bag ... somewhere secure). Ziptie the handlebar to the frame. Place the whole works into the box. Pad with foam or bubble wrap or whatever you've got.

Arrive at the airport very early ... be the first person in line. Be friendly, cheerful, nice, helpful. The nicer you are, the better chance you've got that you'll be treated well.