Old 01-16-13, 06:44 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
My coldest ride this year, with the new wind chill calculator : -48F . But for anyone wearing clothing the wind chill factor is quite meaningless. It might represent how a person would feel if they are naked...but nobody is riding naked. A block of metal at -40F doesn't know if it's windy out or not and if you are wearing a windproof jacket it doesn't make much difference if it's windy or not. Granted you will indeed lose more heat when it's windy but a windchill chart is really kind of meaningless as it pertains to objects that are either ambient temp or protected from the wind like a body in a windproof jacket.
Once, however, at about -30F I hopped on my snow machine and blasted across a small lake at about 50mph for about a minute. My entire face was flash frozen, superficially and I got a scream as the door was opened to the house where people quickly took me to a sink of warm water. THAT was a case where windchill was very meaningful.
Ok, then that one time your face had no protection but the rest of your body did. Your face was naked.