AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I have a Saris Bones 2 and recommend it.

Not necessarily true.

Get "helicopter tape", also known as "heli tape". It's a thick plastic cellophane-like sheet with a gentle adhesive on one side. Put that on the car, under the pads, and avoid marking

But you can't open your trunk that way.

So I put the feet against the bottom of the trunk, and can now open and close the trunk with the rack mounted.

Also - I got a few small velcro strips to stop the back wheel from spinning and the front wheel from swinging around. Takes all of 9 seconds to put the velcro in place or to remove it.
I put the feet against the bumper, and still open and close the trunk. Just need to be careful, and (this is important) keep your damned head out of the way as you are closing it. Oh, and take the bike off first. ;-)

I should have used the plastic protectors, but I haven't, and you can tell where the pads hit. I could buff it out if need be. Note that I use my rack at least once/week, often more.

When hauling a single bike, I rotate the bars so the front wheel is perpendicular to the bumper, and velcro the bars to the rack. It keep things from bouncing around, but I also have a black mark on the bumper from the tire rubbing against it. When hauling two bikes (rare for me) I velcro the wheels of the bikes together to make it a single stable load.