View Single Post
Old 08-27-05, 11:46 AM
Krazy Koz
enjoy the ride

Bikes: The Ship of Theseus - the only bicycle that I own or have ever owned. It is a bike that I built, with a constantly shifting constellation of parts & frames.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dynarider: I know what disc brakes are for and what there particular advantages are. However, the person who started this thread wouldn't from the content of my post. So, kudos to you.

Now, allow me to rebut your point. While discs are more responsive than rim brakes, I don't think that a person riding in the city needs that much braking power. They are very helpful on a mountain bike path, where you may have to suddenly brake or ride your brakes when going down hill while they're wet. I have ridden bikes with disc brakes in the exact same conditions that you describe and found that the only advantages they provide is shorter braking time. In the city, almost all the stops you come across are planned (stop lights, signs, ect.), and therefore any reasonably attentive rider can compensate and start braking a little earlier. Having made a ten mile commute 2 to 3 times a week for about six months now, I can safely say that I have never been in a situation where I needed (or even wanted) disc brakes.

Additionally, I couldn’t possibly imagine anyone using them so much that they damage or wear their rims to any meaningful extent. While they do wear quicker, the frequency with which you would change either type is pretty infrequent.

Ergo, I will stand by my earlier statement: for city riding, disc brakes are overkill. I would not recommend that Inbrooklyn make them a priority while shopping for a good commuting bike.