Old 01-17-13, 09:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
let's talk about saddles again, please! any new ideas?

I believe in leather saddles, and recycling, and craftsmanship. So last year I started recovering old leather saddles and have done about 33 so far (see this thread if interested).

Recently another forum member and I decided to try to collaborate and come up with a new design leather saddle. Basically it would be a compromise between popular shapes of modern saddles and the traditional materials of a century old Brooks etc. He will do the metal work, I will do the leather.

So my question for you guys (both the ladies and the gentlemen), is this: what makes a good saddle a good saddle? H ave you ever had a saddle that was perfect except for maybe one thing that you couldn't fix (and what was it)? Have you ever wished you could get a saddle with some feature or other that was not available? To what degree does length matter? Or width? Or weight? How about a perinneal cutout?

I would appreciate any serious suggestions, observations, etc. Especially from you guys who spend a lot of time on your saddles.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-17-13 at 10:00 AM. Reason: fixed tags