Old 01-18-13, 03:40 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lookinUp
Not looking for medical advice, but just curious about the maximum heart rate. My calculated max rate should be 148 (I'm old, that's why it is low), however, on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 according to my Garmin 500 and heart rate monitor.

So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath? Do the legs finally give out? What physical issue will finally cause you to quit? (other than passing out )

There is a hill that I can barely climb that I know will push my heart rate about as high as it can possibly go. I haven't worn the heart rate monitor on it yet, but will be curious how high the HR ends up being. I can make it over this hill, but wondered what happens if I tackle an even steeper/longer hill.
Here's what will happen: you will be out of breath, heart pounding, maybe dizzy. That happens when you exercise real hard. The theoretical maximum heart rate formula is thoroughly discredited. Occasionally someone will defend it as a viable average, but even that is very dubious. Unless you have a specific heart condition or other problem, most medical authorities would tell you to go for it. I am 66 and have frequently exceeded my "maximum" heart rate and plan to continue doing so. Didn't bother my cardiologist one bit when I went for a checkup. he said, "Great, no need to give you a stress test!" Doesn't bother my personal trainer, either.

Don in Austin