Old 01-21-13, 09:59 AM
mcallaghan

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Merlin Titanium Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour in Ireland in May?

I am starting to do some XC Skiing (along with downhill skiing) along with having my road bike set up on rollers indoors for the winter out here in CO. So I am looking ahead to this summer and doing some touring. I am about 100% certain I will have off from work from the Middle of April (April 15th or so) through the end of May. Depending on what our Spring is like, that could mean I could be on my bike starting in March, or not until the end of May (in regards to riding outdoors). I am hoping that the XC Skiing will help me get into good shape - its been a dry winter so far so there hasn't been a lot of snow for XC Skiing ( was hoping to have started in beginning of december, not middle of January) but I feel like I should be in decent shape.

My touring plans would be as follows - my big trip last summer didn't pan out, so I figure I can probably fly to Ireland in May. My Aunt lives just outside of Galway so that would be my base of operations. I was thinking of ditching the camping gear and just do B&B every night, while averaging around 50 miles a day. This should give me plenty of time to get from Point A to Point B while taking a relaxing lunch at some point.

I am just wondering where I should go - starting essentially just to the east of Galway. I was thinking of heading South to Doolin first, then down towards Mizen Head. Perhaps the Ring of Kerry on the way south, and the Bearra Way (i think thats the name) on the way back to Galway? Other ideas/suggestions?