Old 01-22-13, 02:41 PM
mohatt

Bikes: 1992 Klein Pinnacle and 1995 Chris Chance Road Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! I did find a different shop, and got similar advice to what you are all saying. I have 7 speed right now, btw. For the campy lover, yes I agree and would love to stay with campy, but given my current budget I don't think I can get it done with what I would want.

And, yes, when Chance designed these he put rack eyelets on them and wide enough spacing for a thicker tires. Basically, he was thinking of them as being options for light touring/commuting. I have a friend who turned his into a cyclocross bike when he retired it from road racing and "upgraded" to a new road bike. So, I've thought about it in a similar vein, but my wife pointed out that if I did do this I would forever compare my new bike to my Chris Chance and it won't compare until I can spend more on a new bike than I have.

SO, I am going to ride it as is until the rear end gives out completely. Then I'm going to upgrade it. You all helped me alot in making this decision. I think I might go SRAM with 12-32 rear cassette and compact chain rings, but I might wait until I get to CO to decide on gearing. Any opinions of SRAM vs Campy (I am not a shimano fan because I like the campy ergonomics and positive feel to gear shifting, nothing against shimano, just my preference).