Old 01-22-13, 04:36 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
When you are riding on crushed limestone/gravel and on MTB, your mileage will be much less than you are riding on the road. Typically if you are able to do 90miles/day on the road, 40 to 45 miles would be reasonable on trails with crushed gravel. There's a lot more resistance when you're riding on trails plus towing a trailer will be even more work when you loaded the trailer up with camping gear. So if you are planning to cover 90 miles/day on crushed gravel, plan to train yourself on the road to cover at the most 180 miles/day instead.

In regards to 2 wheel trailers. I have both a single wheel and a 2 wheel trailer, and on the trails, the single wheel provides less rolling resistance than the 2 wheel, though you pay in terms of slight instability. I have a Burley Travoy and it works fine on rail trails, but with tighter switchbacks, my single wheel Maya Cycle trailer is more suitable and easier to ride with compared to my previous Bob Yak trailer which is a handful when it is fully loaded.

But why are you towing a trailer when you can put on Old Man Mountain racks and use them to carry camping gear. A lot easier on the trails.
following comment not meant to start a pissing contest, but I could easily do 45 miles on rails to trails in about 2-3 hrs. Sure, maybe longer with a fully stocked trailer, but not enough to limit me to 40-45 miles the entire day. Also planning on sharing the workload with my buddy, i.e. taking turns lugging the thing around. as stated before, the average grade is <1%.

thanks to those of you offering good advice. Totally convinced the Nomad will be perfect for the trip, just was hoping to spend as little as possible on trailer (still convinced this is what I would like to do). Anyone own the Croozer Cargo with input?

Last edited by dpicare26; 01-22-13 at 04:40 PM.