Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
I will say that I'm surprised that you went for, and she endorsed, radial lacing with aero spokes for a first build.
Depending on what hubs he's using and being a clyde, I'm surprised she endorsed it at all. The dude that gave me lots of info and tips while learning says I ought to avoid radial lacing. Velocity hubs suck for radial and Shimano void their warranty on radial laced as the flange size is not designed to take the stress of radial lacing.

I searched (right after reading your comment) and sure enough, it came up right away posted on wheelbuilder.com

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/hub-selection.html

Now it would be interesting to see what hubs Vesteroid is using, maybe the radial specific designs of Zipp and Mavic?

I'm curious about her "mic" set up. Being and inspector of mfg for several years, I've never me anybody that measures runout using a micrometer. Dial indiators yes, mics no.

Hub Flange: The largest load on a hub is created by the tension of the spokes. Wheels that are laced with 2-, 3- or 4-cross spoke patterns create much less stress on a hub flange than those that are radially laced. This has to do with the extreme angle (or lack thereof) in which the spokes apply load to the flange. Radially laced spokes patterns can contribute to flange cracking and breakage. For this reason some hub manufacturers will not warranty hubs that have been radially laced. However, several manufacturers produce hubs with extra thick or forged flanges with holes drilled closer to the axle, leaving extra material to handle the additional stress of radial lacing. Other manufacturers design their hubs to for use with straight pull spokes, which apply loads differently to the hub flange. Examples of these hubs are seen on some Mavic and Zipp Wheels. Keep in mind that larger flange diameters usually contribute to higher lateral and torsional wheel stiffness. For these reasons, large flange hubs are popular with track racers. Lower flange hubs contribute to lower rotating inertia, which we discussed in the previous paragraph.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 01-22-13 at 07:13 PM.