View Single Post
Old 01-23-13, 07:57 AM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a word? Cold. Not arctic cold like my northern neighbors, but below 20ºF is cold enough to make me consider what frostbite might be like. My toes are still warming up, and I still feel the cold across the bridge of my nose, but really the biggest problem was keeping my glasses from fogging. Apparently my balaclava channels my breath straight up onto the lenses, which meant ever stop or even slow point required me to wipe my glasses to see. My one big climb was an all-but-blind experience.

Add a short extra stop to re-secure my load (I was bringing in a Christmas present from my daughter...) and the commute just took a little longer, and was a little more inconvenient than I prefer.

But, it was just about all worth it for the sound of amazement from one of my co-workers when she realized I had ridden :-)

Met another bike commuter in the parking garage yesterday -- but failed to get his name. Hopefully I'll see him again.