View Single Post
Old 01-23-13, 08:00 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Coming up with the perfect packing list is a neverending task. I still modify mine after each tour, even after all these years. There are also some modifications that are specific to the area I'll be touring in, season, etc.

You can learn a lot from looking at others' lists, but eventually you'll probably make one specific to your individual needs. I think that's part of the fun.

Advice on specific items is too big of a topic. However, I have some simple advice that I think is valid: Put together a list that you think is pretty good. Go on a short tour. Bring a notebook and pencil. While you're "out there" write down thoughts on your list: what you brought that was a good choice, what you didn't bring that you wish you had, and what you brought that you could have left home. I find that I have more insight while I'm on tour than I do when I'm home trying to remember these details. "Shakedown tours" are a good idea if you don't have a lot of experience, for lots of reasons.