View Single Post
Old 01-23-13, 07:53 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Lance gets a rough deal. Its not all about the doping. You couldn't give me EPO and expect me to win the TDF - Lance HAD to train like a maniac and HAD to be in peak physical condition.He was the best of the best. Its too bad that ALL his legacy is now tarnished with "but he doped". What he also did do was light a fire of interest in cycling in the USA. I compare what Lance did to cycling interest in the USA, as what Tyson did for boxing. Tyson retired/got old and now who cares about the boxing heavyweight champion of the world anymore? The USA will not care about the TDF anymore with Lance gone - public interest will wane, less customers, less bike shops, less innovation. We've just witnessed the end of the 'golden years' of cycling in the US.

I for one appreciate what Lance sacrificed for decades. Yes, he got rewarded but that was never a 'given'. Hindsight is 20/20 and he could have retired penny-less with no TDF wins. He sacrificed and trained, trained, trained while at the same time beating serious cancer.

Im still a fan. He's given me many more thrills than those goons throwing a pigskin about.

PS - Awesome job Aquist.