View Single Post
Old 08-28-05, 10:35 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KristenGilbert
If it's too soon for you two to shack up and neither of you can move closer to the other one, why don't you supplement bike riding in. For example, have you heard of the relationship 15? When anyone moves into a serious relationship, they gain 15 pounds. After they've gone through the "gotta look great all the time" phase, they move into the "comfortable" phase. At this point, there is more lounging around and eating of naughty foods. They'll gain 15 pounds easy. What you can do is when you notice you two have gotten to the comfortable phase, instead of lounging around, you can suggest that you two go on bike rides, either exploring the town, making a plan to go to a certain location for a date or just to go on a ride some where for fun. Make a point to call it a date and not an activity. It's more romantic for her.

This also adds to the "things you two have in common and like talking about" category. A good way to get her into it is to show enthusiasm and get really excited when you see her taking an interest in it. Men forget that women aren't omnipotent sometimes and we can't read your mind to know you like something.

You may say "But that doesn't reduce the time in the car." Patience, grasshopper. Once you get her into it, she may get as hooked as you are and want to be less dependant on the car, especially with how expensive gas is lately. I wasn't into biking at all until my boyfriend got me into it. Now, I've surpassed him on the love of the bike. I have gone totally car free. He only rides with me to work once or twice a week and drives the rest.

I hope she's a great match for you and you two can come to something that works for both of you and makes you happy.

Excellent words of wisdom.

I've actually moved past the "relationship 15" phase. Fortunately in my case it was only the relationship 5 lbs. In the last month or so we have reduced our tendency to "eat out" together, both to save money and calories. But you're right, eating is always a good activity to do with anybody that we want to spend time with. Maybe because eating meals is a function that we all do, and we might as well share that time during the day.

Also, in the last few weeks I've managed to actually increase my riding millage/time back to pre-relationship levels. I should add that my GF is a cyclist too, and although she hasn't been riding that much recently, she is very supportive of me riding my bike as much as possible.

This weekend was good. I drove my car only 8 miles, and that was to go shopping at Costco (please make fun of me for being a mass consumer ). I rode my bike a total of 130 miles, and 40 of those miles were back and forth to her house.

As fall and winter approaches I am optimistic, as I am every year, that I will continue my good habits into the cold and darkness. 30 mile commute from work in the dark??? I've never attempted this on a regular basis, but we'll see how it goes...

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 08-28-05 at 10:53 PM.