View Single Post
Old 01-25-13, 11:09 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
In looking at various bike shops there are so few touring bikes( steel) on their shelves. . It must be steel. All the steel touring bikes carried by most shops seem to be the Trek 520 and Fuji touring bike. What are your opinions of these two touring bikes. Any other favorites out there. It would nice to find a shop with more varieties of touring bikes in store. Because don't we like to test ride them first...
. thanks...
Hear you! Consider yourself lucky if your LBS carries at least one touring bike. Also, unlike road bikes, there are so very few high-end "stock" touring bikes for anyone with more exquisite palates. Possibly, a good approach is to grab a used one - that FITS - from Craigslist and then tour, commute, on it for the next year or two. Touring is not for everyone. Should you decide you enjoy it, save some money toward a brand new one or, even better, go custom. I did exactly that. Got an 1984 Miyata 610 and eventually graduated into a Rodriguez UTB...

My Miyata 610 (Sorry for the pic taken non-drive side)...

My Rodriguez UTB... (rear rack off for now)