View Single Post
Old 01-26-13, 12:44 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
We have to be in Winnipeg on August 3, 2013. We have been invited to go fishing in Minnesota a week later. I am considering a ride from Winnipeg to Leech Lake (mid) Minnesota. It looks doable on the map - about 40 miles per day on the flat. It goes through the 'big bog'!

My concern is heat, bugs and traffic - in about that order. I've been to Winnipeg once in my life, about thirty years ago, so I have no frame of reference. I only want to do the ride if it would be fun. I'd appreciate any comments or advice about the proposed ride.
You just joined us in September. Does that mean that you've been riding since September?

If you are a newbie rider, I would try doing 40-50 miles on a fully loaded tourer for a few consecutive days before trying it for real.
... I hate to admit it after riding for 2500 miles last year -- but if I could do it, it would be a stretch for me. When I get over 25 miles I start pushing...