Old 01-27-13, 11:19 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for hanging around and providing support, Cleave. The 45+ did the same thing the first lap: accelerating to over 30 after the right turn out of the headwind. It had calmed down a bit though, before my crash, as folks were no doubt wanting to recover a bit for the climb. I wanted to be close to the front starting that, and in hindsight, tried to squeeze into a narrow opening too gradually at a point when we were accelerating again and I would have otherwise been forced back. Had I made my presence known more decisively, I believe all would have been fine. Totally my bad; glad I didn't take anyone down; glad I flipped to land on my back, as I believe that saved a likely collar bone break or shoulder separation. KK bunny hopped me.

Ex helped get something going before heading back to check on me (above and beyond the call!), and a break of 8 managed to get away, one of Ex's teammates included, and they stayed away to the end. Big field (65-70). Lots of strong guys. Wish I could have seen how I stacked up on the climbs, and know it would have been a huge test in that crowd. I kept looking around thinking "Well, at least there are a few other big guys". Up to the point I crashed out, there was one stretch of ~450w that was taking me to the edge, but thankfully it was taking others there as well, and it calmed down before I had to either back off or blow up.

Got to find a better approach to solving the N+1 equation: breaking frames is just not the way to do it!