Old 08-29-05, 09:10 AM
ron19

Bikes: Decathlon 7.2 road bike , 1980's Puch 5 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck5.2_in_CA
I think any speed is better than doing nothing but assuming a flat route with a decent bike assuming you'll put that 100miles a week in for the next year or more 17-18 mph for 25 miles is a reasonable goal. There are so many variables however that the most fun I find is keeping a journal and try to beat your own best times on the same route. Running down a thirty something and a fortysomething on my 30 mile loop this morning was also quite enjoyable. Yesterdays 40 mile ride in 100 degree heat was way off my PB. So I guess I am in the opposite camp. I love my cycle computer and my heart rate monitor and my training log. I get to compete with myself and thats what's fun for me anyhow...knit two pearl one...thats what my gramma was always saying..I know what knitting is but what the @#$%^& is pearling?
Thanks Chuck, I do keep a log and am always pleased to see PB's. I run 10 different routes and have PB'd 6 in the last 2 weeks . Unfortunately there is almost no flat (I wish) round here and every ride involves as much uphill as downhill.Today for example I rode 60km (37 miles) out & back @12.5 mph . I spent nearly 2/3rds of the time going uphill for 1/2 the distance !! Herein lies the story. I think I've gotta improve the climbing and i'm working on it.
Thanks again
Ron