View Single Post
Old 01-29-13, 02:35 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm of very similiar mind to Beanz. The lowest component grade I would accept on a new bike would be Shimano 105 or Sram Rival.

I'm extremely overdue for a new road bike. It will be a do everything trainer, granfondo, occassional group/club ride sort of bike and I have been looking at bikes just like the one Beanz has linked to and one model up from what you're considering.

A couple things I'm lamenting are whether I really want/need clearance for 35mm tires or 28's with fenders, which would neccessitate a cyclocross frame and longer chainstays, and, whether I really want carbon, or, if aluminum would be good enough to keep me happy for the foreseeable future.

My next bike will almost certainly have disc brakes. I aspire to being an all weather rider and rims brakes can't possibly compare on wet days.

I suspect we'll see a reasonably steep maturation curve for road discs over the next three years. But, the mounts probably aren't going to change, so any frame with 135mm rear spacing will probably be upgradable to whatever comes along. The biggest likely change being the integration of hydraulics.