Old 01-30-13, 09:04 AM
all_rhetoric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shifter boss MIA

Originally Posted by BangkokJoe
This is an older thread, but I am curious how it came out. I have a Klein Performance and am looking for a shifter boss like the one you are having problems with. Got a spare? :-)
In my extensive online research and trips to special hardware stores and fabricating sites.. you are sht out of luck. Everyone has just remounted the levers on the side and ran external cables... either that or their shifter boss is working fine and won't sell it.

After spending a good hour with a few really bored guys at a good hardware store, I walked away with two options... one that was questionable as far as longevity and durability, and the other required drilling the frame holes slightly bigger etc.

After all that, I was about to tackle it when it just clicked* into my head what I really needed.
I simply twisted a heavier gauge wire tightly (as a strand of DNA)
fed it through the boss and then through the bottom frame hole
finagled it through the top frame hole and out through the shifter boss

I will post pictures.

I then separated the ends and twisted the two wires together in the middle and bent the outermost strands outward to brace it in that direction. If you can't find the exact gauge wire that is malleable enough to work, simply use a slightly bigger gauge and file the sides down in order to get the tightest fit possible. the more wiggle room the faster it will come loose.

It is amazing that the best ideas tend to be the simple ones. I couldn't believe how rock solid the mount was. I would almost consider it stronger than the tiny rivbolts they originally had... but it doesnt look as sexy on the outside though.

It is unfortunate the shifter boss is MIA to buy. it is such a simple piece of metal.