Old 01-30-13, 04:31 PM
TrackMonkey7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
I went from Starting Strength to Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Slow and steady progressions and you can mold it to however suits you best. I'm only spending two days a week on lower body right now, and I feel like it's something I'll be able to maintain even throughout the season. This will only be my second full season on the track and I did no lifting leading up into last year, so I'll have to let you know how it goes, but I'm definitely feeling a lot stronger on the bike than I did last year.
I've progressed on Starting Strength to the point that I was no longer making linear gains. I switched to the Texas Method as an intermediate program. I was also considering 5/3/1. How do you have it set up?

Originally Posted by brawlo
http://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/0...etting-started

This is one that I have tried over the last winter. We are in race season now in Oz. It's a very basic get you going style of workout. From this workout, they direct you to Starting Strength. The principle to remember with weights for track is to concentrate on your lower body and core. Your upper body only really needs enough muscle to be able to do the lifts. Any more than that is excess weight.

Also don't forget to be able to translate the strength onto the bike. Over the winter, I did this workout (2 days), a trainer workout and 2 rides of about 50km each on the weekends to keep up fitness. Once I got back on the track bike in our spring, it took me about a month to feel a real improvement which I put down to training that strength to work on the bike.

Also don't forget, there's lots of good sprinters out there that don't even lift. Targetted bike training could be as good or better.
Hmm, that article basically outlines the Starting Strength program. However I'm exploring that site and it's answering a lot of questions for me. Thanks a bunch for it.

One question I have for everyone is if they spend any time doing higher rep lifts as a means of conditioning, or is it much more beneficial to do all conditioning work on the bike?