View Single Post
Old 01-31-13, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
IMO there is nothing enjoyable about spin classes. They're simply to be endured. I will say, though, that I've never heard an instructor single out anyone who doesn't appear to be at the proper cadence (or have anything to say about someone's physical traits). They shout general motivational stuff for everyone. And the resistance knob is something that's pretty much between you and your conscience - the instructors have no control over it, nor do they have any knowledge of where you set it, other than some visual cues like pedaling too fast when you stand up due to lack of resistance.
Heh. "Endured." Good description, especially if the music is bad. With that said, I did regularly attend one spinning class that I enjoyed. The instructor was great. She varied the routine from class to class, explained each drill clearly and usually played decent (even fun) tunes. IME, she was a rare exception.

A lot of times I will see instructors and participants spinning at such high cadences that their bodies are bouncing up and down like jack hammers. No relation whatsoever to real cycling.