Old 02-01-13, 11:58 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nerys

I notice also my bowel movement was small. so my body kept and used more of what I ingested less to go out the rear :-) Seems to confirm I was lacking and had just "corrected" the lacking.
Heavy Cardio burns carbs, which exit your body mostly through your lungs as CO2. Some is glycogen from fat, but your body cannot process that fast enough to fuel an intense workout, so eating enough prior to working out is important too.

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
There are endless varieties of theories on what the diet should be composed of. It is nearly impossible to "do your own research"and make sense of it. I have a degree in biochemistry ( and economics) and find the arguments for low carb, 40/30/30, reduced calories. . .
When I first started tracking, I found that attaining any thing close to these ratios to be very difficult. It was almost as hard to increase protean as it is to lower carbs.

Also, I am almost finished reading The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Polan.

The sheer novelty and glamor of the Western diet, with its seventeen thousand new food products every year and the marketing power - thirty-two billion dollars a year - used to sell us those products, has overwhelmed the force of tradition and left us where we now find ourselves: relying on science and journalism and government and marketing to help us decide what to eat.
His main thesis is that until the last hundred years or so, millennia of cultural experience guided our food choices. Unlike Koalas, for whom, if it looks and smells like eucalyptus, its edible, we have more difficult choices to make. The profit motive has driven the food industry to market to us what is better for their bottom line than our health. We then rely for fixes on other "experts" Like Atkins. Not that there is not something to what Atkins and the others are saying, but much is contradictory and downright confusing.

Good luck. I now do much of my shopping at farmers markets, and am trying to increase it, with my wife kicking and screaming all the way.