Old 02-02-13, 03:22 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Rebuilding the rear triangle with a lower BB height.

I'm considering having a framebuilder replace the rear triangle on my vintage bike. I have a 1978 Trek 930 built with Columbus SP. The frame details can be found on this link;

http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/Trek2pg3.gif

I would like to lengthen the chainstays from 415mm to 425mm and ovalize the chainstays to improve tire clearance. I would also like to shorten the seatstays by about 1.2mm to provide a lower BB height.

I would also like to drop the BB height from 7.2mm to 8.0. My goal is to improve stability and reduce standover height by a small amount.

I realize that I will be tilting the entire front triangle counterclockwise (when viewing the drive side) by a small amount. Will this provide any unintended consequences or changes in handling or stability?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-02-13 at 04:40 PM.