View Single Post
Old 08-30-05, 09:27 AM
islenska

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpearl
I haven't tried a 'cross race yet. Back in high school when I raced road and MTB, I used to beat up clunker bikes in the off-season doing psuedo-cross. I'd like to go see a 'cross race first, and even try one to get the full experience, and even to see if I get into it.

So what is CX racing like in Iceland?
well, cx does not exist in iceland. but (luckily) i'm not icelandic, and i'm coming home (back to the states) just in time for cx season. i have been living/working here for about a year, but now my time is up and i am craving fall in the northeast! however, i have been racing mtb and road here, and it is..."interesting" to say the least. the mtb courses are really quite bad, especially considering the vast expanses of land here. on the bright side, its a decent place to train for cross because of the incessant rain, wind, and generally nasty weather. i am working in collaboration with a cycling club here to introduce cx to the racing scene. we are going to try and put some races together...it would be a first for iceland! i'm fairly certain that i am the only person in this country with a cx bike.

anyway, back to the northeast. here's a link to the verge series:

http://www.necyclocross.com/races/index.html

and there are generally tons of local races all thru the northeast, especially in MA. a great race is the gloucester grand prix which is actually 2 days right b4 halloween. www.gloucestercross.com. all races have B and C classes so as an amateur you can go to even the big races and just jump in the fire. in fact, if you want to get into racing cross, thats just what i recommend...racing is the best way to learn, and its a ton of fun.