View Single Post
Old 08-30-05, 11:23 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by John C. Ratliff
I agree with everything that Steve said above. I had the training, and have used it effectively. But if you learn nothing else from this thread, take away two body-saving ideas:

1. If you start to go down, tuck your chin to your chest.
2. Relax, and maintain whatever you are currently doing.

If you are going over the handlebars, tucking will initiate the roll. If you are going sideways, tucking will protect your head, and relaxing will allow the soft parts to hit the ground. There is a reason why drunks don't get hurt much in falls (usually). They are completely relaxed and unafraid. Don't get drunk, but be relaxed and you'll come out better for it. Tuck and relax.

John
Great advice. I've fallen twice on descents on my road bike and both times while I have not had much time I've had enough time to take some measures. The last time I crashed was this past Saturday.

The first time I tucked my chin while going over the handlebars-I landed on my head and rolled up. I tore my helmet and had some fractured ribs but nothing that did not heal fairly quickly. Saturday I went down with the bike sideways (avoiding another cyclists that went down in front of me). I stayed with the bike to the ground (no hands or feet off the bike) and most of the hit was to my butt/hip and shoulder. I did have time to pick to go down on the shoulder and NOT on the asphalt.

However, I did not tuck my chin this time and my head slammed sideways on the ground on impact. My helmet once again came to the rescue but my neck is pretty sore from the "whiplash". I suspect that if I'd tucked my chin that could have spared some of the brunt of the hit to the head.

Interestingly my neighbor is a NASCAR driver and a few years back tumbled his car end over end about 5 times at Daytona (or it could have been Talledega). When we talked with him about what he was thinking while he was crashing he said his training from his early childhood days in driving go carts, sprints, etc, kicked in and it was to tuck your chin and make a ball and ride it out. He escaped with only a black eye and is still out there riding around the tracks today close to age 50!!!