BIG_BIKE

Bikes: In the making

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Gabe,

You might need to better define your intended market. Specifically the "obesity" range that you're interested in serving.

Techincally by BMI terms I am "obese" at 195cm and 115kg. I ride a traditional race geometry alloy frame with 39/53 X 12-25 gearing, use a medium width Selle Italia Turbomatic saddle and only make concession to my size by using 32 or 36 spoke wheels carrying 25-28mm tires.

However, this forum has lots of members who have had to solve numerous individual issues in order to ride.

We've got trike riders, flat footed/pedal forward riders, pedal extension users and folks on tandem wheels, as well as lots of discussions around saddles and what works for various folks and what does not.

I'll sum up what is frequently offered here to new, would be, super clyde cyclists the best I can.

If you're shopping for a used bike and have limited resources, look on Craigslist for a '90s mtb with a nonsuspension fork. Hopefully this bike will have at least 32 or preferably 36 spoke wheels which should suffice in all but extreme cases. You may want to change the saddle and stem to achieve personal comfort. But, be aware that wide and soft saddles are not neccessarily more comfortable, despite what many first imagine. They tend to spread the pressure over inappropriate soft tissues and prevent you from being able to move those pressure points. The correct fitting saddle will be determined by the shape of your sit bones, which is independent of how much weight you may be carrying.

If you can affford a new bike look for fitness or recreational models like the Trek FX range or Cannondale Adventure or Quick lines.

If you are uncomfortable with those options, there are trikes and flat footed models available from a number of companies.

Thank you for your contribution. Your advise helps a lot. I reworded my opening sentence to hopefully better accommodate my audience. Also you posted some great info- Gabe