Thread: 105 miles
View Single Post
Old 08-30-05, 01:06 PM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElRey
I put a pair of ITM Pro 260 handlebars on the back; didn't think the extra weight of the stock Deda 310s was necessary and she's used to ITM's ergo shape. I'l switch out the front when I'm sure a lighter set can be used safely. A Ritchey WCS seatpost for me; it's got to be 150 grams lighter and easier to adjust, as the bolts are on teh sides and can be adjusted without moving the stoker's stem. I left the back suspension post intact; I don't know squat about them so don't know if there's a good replacement. And she has yet to complain. Stoker stem to an all-alloy unit. My stem to an ITM carbon. Cassette to a 12-27 Ultegra. The Bontrager wheels are from Tandems East; Mel charged me $695 - he seems like a real good guy. They're a ton lighter than the stock 40 spoke/Mavic 520/Shimano hub wheels and have turned out to be more comfortable. They certainly make the bike feel like a racing machine... a hugh difference. Lots of weight came off with teh new fork: the steel one handled poorly and it weighs a ton. Saddles, go with what fits. I don't look to save weight on saddles or brakes. The loss of weight was not really my goal, performance was. Of course, most performance parts in teh bike world are better engineered with better materials, so less weight as well as performance: the daily double. But don't think I'll be getting a set of Zipp Clydesdales re-axled to 145 any time soon.
Ummm.... a steel fork on a Cannondale Road Tandem? That must be a pretty old one I guess. Also because the recent models have 40 spoke/Mavic A719/DT Hügi wheels. Probably the Bontragers are still way lighter than these, by the way ...... I certainly hope you didn't pay full price for an old bike