View Single Post
Old 02-13-13, 10:22 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Date of Ride: 2/13/2013
Type of Ride: diy solo century-san diego county, ca
Actual Mileage: 102.2 miles
Ride Time: 7h 01m
Total Time: 7h 36m
Avg. Speed: 14.6 mph
Altitude Climbed: approx. 4,520 ft
Weather conditions: dry, clear, sunny, mid 50's-low 60's

synopsis of ride: got a late (after 10am-couldn't fall asleep till 5am) start and headed south along san diego bay, turning inland in chula vista and taking otay lakes rd into the backcountry.
lots of caterpillars inching their way across the road (i think i missed them all) and the hillsides coming alive with greenery from the recent rains. headed east on the hwy 94 towards campo and
immediately benefitted from a gentle but persistent tailwind. nice scenery climbing up to dulzura although the road itself is in worse repair than last time i headed this way approx 3 years ago.
descended barrett junction grade (which is a blast) while staying mindful of the usual crosswinds which can be problematic. turned off hwy 94 and headed north on barrett lake rd to investigate the
road's potential as a loop ride connector. no go. after 2 miles, the no trespassing/private property/residents only sign & locked gate came out in force and i didn't want to end up as livestock feed or dog food.
turned around heading back the way i came. ascended the 2 mile barrett junction grade, rode through jamul and headed back into metro san diego via el cajon, santee and mission valley.