Old 02-14-13, 01:44 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
If it's very hilly where you are, then you'll likely want a decent bike, not a Walmart bike, with a triple, not a double,
That's the truth! I was considering buying a vintage steel bike when I first got the bug to ride. Good thing I didn't! I never would have been able to ride standard gearing on these hills, and being out-of-shape. I could barely make it with my triple, at first- still had to stop and rest half way up the hills, then again at the top...and huffing and puffing like I was going to die.

I'm waiting here for UPS to bring my '97 Klein, as I type...which has a standard double, which I am now- a year later- just getting strong enough to use. (Been riding my triple in 40/23 to see if I can handle the standard double....was able to do it except on the very worst climb on my way home....)

On the other hand- riding a few rides now, without going lower than that 40/23 has really helped my performance! Sometimes it's good to force yourself to work harder......but I could NEVER have come remotely close to doing that at first!