View Single Post
Old 02-14-13, 03:46 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In short, in order of priority:

#1 - Cyclists that actually cause a collision accident by breaking the rules of the road should be ticketed for doing so, regardless of the nature of the offense itself if it resulted in an accident ticket is issued.

If I could only have one, that would be it, but I would really like these as well (extra especially #2):

#2 - "Kamikazes*" should be ticketed, I would even support an "Impound the bike on the spot and let them walk until they come down and pay the ticket to get the bike out of impound" policy for these nuts.
#3 - "Salmon" - for repeat offenders with multiple prior warnings and tickets I would support the same "Impound the bike on the spot" (ItBotS) type policy as above.
#4 - "Night Ninjas" - for repeat offenders with multiple prior warnings and tickets I would support the same ItBotS as above.

Enforcement against motorist harassment is more important after that, but once that is successfully accomplished (REAL enforcement against motorist harassment):

#5 - Not even treating a red light like a yield sign but flying right through (Non-Kamikaze offense, no other traffic forced to yield as result) - do no support ItBotS type policy.
#6 - Not even treating a red light like a stop sign (but do treat it like a yield sign) - do no support ItBotS type policy.
#7 - Not even treating a stop sign like a yield sign (Non-Kamikaze offense, no other traffic forced to yield as result) - do no support ItBotS type policy.

Last of all, I wouldn't ask for it until the culture had changed to fully treat cyclists as equal users of the roads, but at that point:

#8 - Not treating a red light like a red light (Fix the darn sensors to register bikes first !!!) - do no support anything close to an ItBotS type policy or high ticket price but on the long run if the sensors are fixed running a red is running a red regardless of how it is done and it is a "blood boiling point" incident for most people that see a cyclist do it and is one of the most frequent things that the haters bring up as what is in their mind a valid reason for their hatred. And hatred in the heart of the wrong person can be deadly for some poor cyclist someday somewhere. Possibly you or me and I don't think you want it to be you and I know I don't want it to be me.

For just about everything else, a simple warning should be more then sufficient in most cases.

* Kamikaze ~ Definition in cycling = a cyclists that blatantly, deliberately, and knowingly runs red-lights, stop signs, and other traffic controls requiring their flow of traffic to yield to another flow and in so doing blatantly, deliberately, and knowingly violates the right of way of other vehicles and blatantly, deliberately, and knowingly force other drivers to slam on their brakes and or swerve and skid and take drastic action to avoid hitting them.

Last edited by turbo1889; 02-14-13 at 04:43 PM.