Old 08-31-05, 05:58 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
This is a little delicate question for Tandem users who push the speed limit.

I like to know if you have observed a violent reaction to the digestive system of one of the team members if the Tandem Team has overreached the boundaries of speed and endurance.

The other possibility could be food poisoning or contaminated water. This happened more than once and I am concerned.
Obviously, how different peoples bodies respond to physical exertion will vary so cause = effect relationships need to be monitored. However, that said, digestive distress, vomiting, and even diarrhea are most definitely things that can creep up on you if your pushing your body to performance levels it is not accustomed to, particularly in very hot weather. We have often had folks rate the pace of hot summer rides by asking, "How many hurls did you give it?". Response, "Oh, it was a two-hurler".

Although I've never hurled from over exertion, I've been afflicted a few times with the other maladys but haven't ever been caught out on the bike.... thankfully. For me, it's been a post ride series of cramps and quick dash while recovering. Of course, what you eat can also play into the equation as well. So, if your problem is only coincided with "overreaching" on rides and not during non-cycling activities I would suspect there may be a connection. If it were me, unless I had already been keeping a training diary to record weight, diet, and ride information that I could use in a discussion with my personal care provider (including the type/amount of nutrition and liquids consumed during the ride) I would start recording that information as it may contain clues that would help with a proper diagnosis. Not to mention, it sometimes becomes self evident what needs to be changed, e.g., water = cramps, sportsdrink = OK.

As for being a bit of mild food posioning or bad water, that's always a possibility... particularly if you're participating in a large event where careful control of the water supply isn't adhered to. Me, I prefer to see bottled water being offered and will often times skip SAG stops and buy my liquids at a convenience store along the route on organized ride events. However, if this problem is cropping up on your own local rides, alone or with your club, then food poisoning or water issues seem less likely unless the food and water sources used for each ride were the same. Again, a training diary could help identify trends.

Obviously, if the condition persists you should consult with your health care provider. Never assume too much these days.