Old 02-18-13, 05:39 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Avid BB7 Road disc calipers work great with road levers - you can buy a set for $100. I've used them for years with Campy levers.
Why would you want the extra complexity, weight, cost and lower reliability of a hydraulic brake system?
hydros are the de facto standard for mt biking because they weigh less, offer better modulation/power, auto-adjust, and are far more reliable than mechanicals. they may cost a little more, but boy are they worth it. shimano and maguro mineral oil hydros are basically maintenance free unless the system is compromised. one of the major reasons i commute on flat bar road bikes is because i cannot stand mechanicals. and the quicker rim brakes die, the better as far as i am concerned. using a braking technology that structurally weakens the rim is nucking futz!

looks like the sram hydraulic brifters will debut this spring:

Finally, SRAM has lifted the curtain. Tim Johnson rode a set of the upcoming SRAM Red hydraulic road/cross discs to victory at CXLA over the weekend, and VeloNews photographer Wil Matthews was on hand to document.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...in-cxla_267379

Last edited by spare_wheel; 02-18-13 at 05:47 PM.