View Single Post
Old 02-18-13, 07:57 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When I'm riding my tandem, I can move just a tad to either side and touch the stoker bars, and it feels like I'm right there. Only, turns out, what I'm touching is the tips of the bullhorns, which my stoker doesn't use, so it doesn't matter. Moral there is let your stoker figure out how much hand room is needed back there, it's hard for the captain to tell what's going on.

My first stoker tends to be very low and aero on her single bike, even without being in the drops, but there wasn't much point in sitting like that when she's riding behind me. ("Wow, drafting Stephen is like riding behind a school bus!"- one of my friends). And the current stoker tends to sit more upright anyway. So neither one had much use for drop bars, so I've just kept the bullhorns on it that came on it. I think the friend that made the "school bus" comment has drop stoker bars on his tandem, but I don't think they get used often- the drops on the captain's bars are a different story.

My single bike came with wider bars, so that's what I'm used to, and that's the main reason I see for using them on a tandem.