Old 08-31-05, 04:19 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the right hook really such a big threat?

I have seen a great deal of posts and discussion here regarding the threatening right hook by drivers. Now I admit that I filter almost every time, but I just don't see the right hook as being that big of a threat to a cyclist who is paying attention. There are some situations where I would not filter and some where I feel very safe doing so. When I do filter, I don't sit stupidly in the blind spot of a vehicle that could turn right. I am up on or ahead of their right front bumper. They would have to look through me to see their anticipated line of travel. I also try to make eye contact when I can.

And when moving on the right of moving traffic through an intersection only a fool or the uninitiated would ride in the blind spot of a vehicle that could turn right. In those situations, I either get in the lane of traffic VC style, or hold off behind the vehicle in question until clear of the intersection. You simply anticipate the probability of a threat and act accordingly. It is common sense; just like you would not filter to the right of a semi truck going over a small overpass.

I guess my argument is that a cyclist who is watching traffic and avoids obviously dangerous behavior can avoid the right hook regardless of whether or not he/she uses VC style methods.

Flame on....