Old 02-21-13, 10:31 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Anyone ever seen wired speed/cadence combined into a single wire with a Y-split?

Just picked up Bontrager's best wired computer from the LBS, which also has a wired cadence sensor. I was very disappointed to see that there was only a single wire for most of the length, then it split into 2 wires, with another 8" wire to the cadence sensor and about 12" to the speed sensor. All the wires are also are quite large in outer diameter. This makes it quite unwieldy to work with, and the lengths of wire to each sensor make it pretty much impossible to mount up and work with. I zip-tied the cadence sensor on the chain stay, based on where I placed the magnet on the crank arm. But then the speed sensor wire reached almost all the way to the rear dropout. To place it anywhere else on the chain stay (more forward preferred to get it closer to the wheel spokes) meant the wire had to turn back on itself. It all was going to look very messy. And then the place where the wire split into two happened right at the cable guides underneath the BB. Really no good way to secure it and have it look anything close to a "clean" appearance.

Any tips? If not I guess I'm going to return it and get the next lower wired computer, which is speed only, for $10 less. I don't really care about cadence much right now anyway.