View Single Post
Old 02-23-13, 05:18 PM
bro

Bikes: Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 20 Posts
so, i'm very seriously considering riding my bike to work, about ten miles away, with some average hills. gonna be using a 19lb fixed gear bike with 73.9 gear inches. plus a bag on the handlebars containing a folding foot pump, tubes, tire levers, axle nut wrench, water bottles. thinking about wearing a wool jersey and wool shorts with a leather chamois, gloves, cap, sunglasses, and cycling shoes with the stiff soles and perforated leather. trying to figure out where im going to put my work boots/socks/shirt/shorts/hat/safety glasses/gloves/water/lunch, thinking just a backpack but i feel like that would be ****ty. going to be using a fake san marco concor saddle. gonna clip a mirror to my sunglasses and use a front and rear light.

wondering if i should just skip the wool/chamois shorts and go for some lycra ones with a padded crotch? or could i wear the lycra padded guys under the wool ones and not be too hot in the summer? i dont want my junk to be super accentuated anyway.

thinking i want a rear bag, but i dont have room for fenders or rack mounting holes, are there any ways to mount a bag on the seatpost somehow? maybe using something coming out of the rear brake mount for some kind of support instead of a fender? any quick-releasing/velcro/anything other than something that requires tools? and then where do i put my taillight? i really dont want to wear a backpack... and theres a bike i keep at work too just for riding from greenhouse to greenhouse and i want to be able to take the bag of my road bike and pop it on the coaster brake one for work. actually if i can find some quick release fenders it could make my bag choices easier. has to be big enough to fit size 8-9 work boots, shorts, t-shirt, socks, underwear, safety glasses, ball cap, gardening gloves, and a couple sandwiches.

whats ten miles like on a fixed gear in 85 degree weather? any suggestions? anything else i should have in case something happens? anything about the rear bag or how to stay comfortable? thankssssssssssssssss

*also posted in the commuter forum

Last edited by bro; 02-23-13 at 05:54 PM.