Old 02-24-13, 06:20 AM
gsusser

Bikes: specialized Sirius pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from jersey city

Hello! I'm a 60 year old guy who has been a very casual cyclist since the day I quit smoking, 15 years ago. The past few years, I primarily use my bike to commute to the train to work (4 miles each way) and during the spring and summer for casual exercising, anywhere from 10 to 20 miles a few times a week. The operative term is casual, haha. A not so flattering characteristic is that I'm a complete moron when it comes to anything mechanical, like fixing a flat. I've got a couple of questions; I'm not sure if they belong here or elsewhere, but here goes.

I own a 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport, purchased new for just under $600 16 months ago. I love the bike - I find it a good balance between commuting and slightly more serious riding. I bought it from a local shop who I've come to adore, though prices are generally list or close to it. The bike has never had more than a minor tune up (minor tune ups are a freebie when you buy a bike). The bike is in dire need of a serious tune up - the brakes need pads or more, the gears need serious adjusting, there's a broken spoke, a rusty chain and probably more. I commute year round in all weather. The store offers various grades of tune ups; the major tune up costs $200 and they take the bike apart and put it back together. I was going to opt for that with the rationalization that I love the bike and spending $200 for a "like new" bike is better than spending another $600 or so for a new bike.

HOWEVER, I checked craigslist for my bike and I could possibly get as much as $300 if I sold it. Then, it would only cost another $300 to get the same bike as opposed to $200 for a tune up. That makes more sense but I'm wondering what y'all think. I'm thinking that the $200 tune ups are meant more for a $2000 bike.

Lastly, if I do go the route of a new bike, is there a particular area to discuss this? If not, I'm looking for something very similar to the Sirrus.

Thanks,
glenn