View Single Post
Old 02-25-13, 07:51 PM
emaurice24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Ethan, looks like you got great bikes. $.02 is to take it easy and always leave some fuel in the tank every day,especially in the first week. I had quite a few short tours by the time I was 23 then whacked the hell out of my knee in a ski accident. Seven months later I toured from Utah to Colorado. As long as I started the day out easy I had choices but if I hammered my knee would act up and the day was spent recovering on the bike. If I rode too hard and long one day the next day was short and the recovery was off the bike.
I'm sure you've been warned about overuse injuries, a young coworker screwed up his knees going out and hammering everyday on an unloaded bike, the same can happen riding successive days where the peak effort isn't high but the cumulative effort is. When I came back from that trip I joined a racing club. What I found out in touring and racing is that significant changes in fitness took time and that planned recovery was as important as planned effort. To be stronger at the end of a month required a couple rest days a week, on or off the bike.
You and your brother might have different cycles of feeling strong and needing recovery so it's worth making room for that, sometimes one doesn't know they need a break until someone else mentions it.
Much thanks. This is advice I will try to take now, rather than learn the hard way this summer. We'll start off nice and easy and have more rest days the first few weeks. To me, it seems hardly anyone is ever 100% physically prepared for their tour and starting out easy is good advice. In all the excitement of starting a cross country tour, we'll be ready to go out and mash on those pedals the first few days, but we'll try hard to contain ourselves.