Free and Self-Reliant

Bikes: Retrovelo Paula, 3 Speed Brompton, Rivendell Cheviot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
Good thinking, congrats on the bikes!

Here is one more lady who did not think she would want a Brompton, and now ride it a lot http://lovelybike.blogspot.no/search/label/Brompton I need to finish the modifying of mine plus some new tyres before the summer.

Tell us more about pix and stuff of your bikes! What are you doing for bags/ luggage? Buying something or just get the frame and DIY the rest?
I did read V's Brompton posts. My riding experience has mirrored hers, without being influenced by it, although my road riding abruptly ended when I was hit by a car. I did see the Brompton on some posts and thought "Why the hell is she riding that?"

Last summer I test rode a Giant folder at the same very LBS. I did not like it at all. I never tried the Brompton, because I just was not interested. I see now that they are very practical. DH keeps telling me how much he loves folding bikes. In the small city of Mobile, AL -- flat and low-traffic in the areas where I rode for transportation -- the Retrovelo was awesome. So was the Raleigh Sports. But now, I may just be the perfect candidate for a Brompton.

Luggage: I ordered a T-Bag for bike #1 and a Carradice City Folder for #2. I may change that to a T-Bag. I HAVE SO MANY BAGS/BASKETS/RACKS! I have two Arkel Shoppers. I took one with me, hoping that I could mount it on the bag frame. It is just a wee bit too big, which REALLY bums me out. I have some Wald folding baskets and I thought about getting a frame and zip tying one to the frame. While that would be cool, why would I bother? It won't hold as much as a T-Bag.

I have TWO Detours bags -- a rack trunk and a handlebar bag/rack trunk. They may need to go back to REI. The rear rack on the Retrovelo -- I hate it. It's too short. I have not mounted a rack on the pink mixte yet and a handlebar bag is out of the question (drop bars, and yes, I tried it).