Old 09-01-05, 09:22 AM
bluejack
Know Your Turf

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda like racing on my commute. Gives it a little extra excitement when I see someone up ahead. A challenge.

If I catch up, and the rider's going about my pace, I won't usually pass. Not sure what the polite following distance is, so I hope I'm not being a pest. I usually position myself about 10 feet behind and a foot or two towards the center of the road from the person I am following both for maneuverability, and so approaching cars can see both of us. I will pass if I'm confident I will really pull away from the guy.

Now, when I pass, I don't usually shout "on your left" or wave or look back. I just pass. Personally, I hate the "on your left" thing, because on multiuse paths, pedestrians hear it and jump left. I have had any number of near misses before ceasing the practice. And w/ regard to cyclists on a road, I give plenty of room when passing so there's no hazard. As for waving, I've never seen anyone wave at me on passing, so I don't think I know the proper gesture. Right hand? Left hand? What kind of wave? I used to glance over and nod and smile just at passing, sort of saying hi, you know, but I never got anything in response, so I pretty much don't anymore. Unless it's an attractive woman.

If I am being unconscionably rude, I'll happily take any tips for improving my cycling social skills.

Last edited by bluejack; 09-01-05 at 09:23 AM. Reason: just a quick factual correction