Old 02-28-13, 12:01 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Frame is a bit lighter, but I have alloy bars now instead of CF, so it ended up the same as what I replaced. Gonna do the team group ride Saturday, which will be a good test of me on the bike. Still need to cut the steerer tube, and I think I can trim a little length off the RD cable.

A few irritating manufacturing defects, that just shouldn't be there on a top-of-the-line frame:

A. The cable stops were changed from last year, to be more aero for the aero frame. Last year they were held in only by tension on the outer cable. This year they have tiny screws that become flush with the plastic stop, under the outer cable ferrule. There are 4 of them. Two of the screws went in fine. The other two were blocked by something inside the frame tube... like some CF material at the back of the threaded hole. Since the screw was alloy, the hex head of first one that had the problem stripped. Didn't take much for that to happen. So I backed it out with vice-grips, cut off half the screw and managed to sort-of get it tightened. But it is loose, and clicks when moving the bars significantly. The second time it happened, I knew how easy it would strip, and cut the screw (even more) and that worked fine. Shouldn't have to do this kind of thing!

B. The squared off washer that clamps onto the cable for the rear brake needed to scrape some coating off the brake arm mount in order to clamp down. Tolerances didn't take the coating into account. Couple of square mm of bare metal (alloy) on a brake which is mounted under the BB, where it will see lots of grime. No big deal, but irritating.

C. The finish of the BB where the bearings press in should be much cleaner. For a race bike, any 'facing' required should be done prior to shipment but I have yet to see a manufacturer doing this.