View Single Post
Old 02-28-13, 10:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Expect to change your gearing 2-5 times per training/race session.

Centering it isn't an issue.

You'll get to be fast with it in no time.

Pro tips:

1) Get knurled chainring bolts where the nut seats into the crank spider. Don't worry, it can be removed if you strip it out. This makes gear changes VERY fast.
http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...roducts_id=628

2) Get a set of quality ball-head metric allen wrenches. Trust me. TOTALLY worth the expense. I have a set that i've been using since 2009. Use the short end to torque/loosen and the long end to spin on/off. Using 3-way allen wrenches suck at this task.

Only keep the wrenches that fit bolts on your rig with you. Store the rest at home in your tool box.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13pc-...p-00946755000P

3) Get a shop-quality lock ring remover and chain whip. You will be chaining cogs more often than mechanics at your local shop (seriously).
I use Hozan pliers and a Park Tool chain whip (originally 3/32 that I modified with a 1/8" chain)

4) At least TWO quality 15mm wrenches. One to keep in your gear bag and one for the trunk of your car (and leave it there) for when you load/unload your bike. They should be 15mm on BOTH the open and closed ends (not 14mm on one side and 15mm on the other).

It's a pain in the butt to be dead tired from training and have to go digging deep in your gear bag for the 15mm to take your wheels off your bike.

Get one where the closed end is flat (not angled) as possible. When you are applying torque to tighten rear wheels, if the angle is really sharp, it will jump off of some nuts that have narrow shoulders (like on Zipp 900 disks). I'd replace those with Dura Ace anyway. Just remember that front and rear nuts have different thread pitches.

Not too long and not too short. My Craftsman is 7" long (heh heh heh). Shorter is not enough torque and longer is too much.

5) OPTIONAL: Get a ratcheting 15mm wrench. This is helpful, too. I lost my favorite one.

I've been using all of the tools listed above for 5 years or more. You'll use them your entire racing career...or until someone doesn't return something As a buddy who owns a high-end wood crafting shop told me when I borrowed something from him a second time during my rookie season, "If you have to borrow a tool more than once, you need your own."

Last edited by carleton; 02-28-13 at 10:08 PM.