skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
I've got mixed feelings about the newer in car systems.

My mothers new car automatically detects her phone (in her handbag or pocket) as soon as she gets in and automatically connects it to the buttons on the steering wheel and also to the centre dash display. Mum can answer the phone with a tap of her thumb on the steering wheel.

By connecting the phone to the car speakers and AV system they stop people picking up phones, fooling in their handbag, reaching for the passenger seat - but studies are now showing that simply being 'hands free' isn't enough for many folks. Some people can seem to manage to talk and drive.

As for the tv commercial, I think the 2 seconds of black screen is a great device to show folks what is going on when they are distracted.
You don't have to convince me. If my phone rings, I'll pull over to answer if conditions allow. Otherwise it goes to voicemail and that's the end of it.

I had heard of similar studies' results. But it got me questioning their conclusions. How is hands-free anymore distracting than conversing with a passenger? I see no problem with either.

Videos like that should be included in drivers' ed training. No exceptions. People can cry "nanny state" all they want. That's just one reasonable step to a problem that's been out of hand for over a decade.