Old 03-02-13, 11:36 PM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
Making slow, but steady progress:

How are you folks running your front brake cable? I'm having a difficult time using the stem's cable stop without putting a tight bend in the cable. Does anyone have some decent shots of their setup with the bars unwrapped?
I'm really digging the Stumpjumper striknein, it looks like a champ with the black paint and the "Deerhead" XT set up!

I'm on my third build using the drilled stem cable stop, the trick is getting Odyssey BMX steel braided housing, you can make those tight bends with no issues. The housing is part of Odyssey's "Slic Cable" series, there is tubing inside the housing for perfect braking and release. Here is the current build I'm doing with a Nitto high rise quill stem, SOMA Sparrow bars, and Shimano STI brifters. The flexibility allowed me to run the cable in such a way that it did not obstruct the center hand position near the stem. Initially I tried this set up with the steel/alloy flex housing and there was no way for it to make the bend needed to maintain the central hand positioning. Odyssey was all I ran all those years racing BMX and it's still my go to housing on half my builds. Not even the $100.00 Nokon Cables can match the versatility of the Odyssey, my buddy tried and wasted his dough. Here it is on my Smorgasbord track bike, I love the function and the aesthetic of the steel braiding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SparrowSTI.jpg (96.4 KB, 608 views)
SmorSSfront.jpg (102.8 KB, 308 views)
SmorSSbars.jpg (87.7 KB, 602 views)
SmorSalsaSS.jpg (80.1 KB, 614 views)